It is a matter of great pride owning an original painting. Purchasing original paintings is now popular. Original works are expensive, and you need to take good care of them. You need to follow these five simple steps to clean your oil painting.
1. You should always use a brush made of soft bristles to clean oil paintings. Soft brushes remove the dirt that is accumulated on the painting without affecting the painting.
2. For cleaning the back of the painting, you need to take off the painting from its frame. You should place it on a clean surface. Use a small nozzle with a brush attachment to vacuum the dirt.
3. If the varnish of the oil painting looks old, then you can buy a mild solvent called ‘conservation liquid’ to clean it. Before you use the solvent directly on the painting, you first need to test the reaction of the solvent by applying it on one corner. If you see anything wrong, you shouldn’t use it. If the solvent is good, you should apply it on the surface of the painting carefully using cotton swabs. To remove surface dirt, you should use cotton swabs soaked in distilled water.
4. If your painting shows indications of loose flakes or cracks, then dust the surface with a sponge and dry bristle baby toothbrush.
5. If the painting surface is dirty, you should use detergent solution. You should mix the solution with lukewarm water and then apply to the painting’s surface using new fiber cloths.
If you still cannot clean the paintings properly, you should call a profession to clean the painting for you. Original oil painting is an asset. You should always keep it in good condition and preserve it well.